Saturday, July 30, 2022

Sunday Story…The Road

 

To the games Part 5

 

“Dance with the one that brung you.” In these final 8 weeks of preparation, a serious misstep would be to change what I have been doing. What I have done so far has gotten me a 1st in the open a 5th in the quarterfinals and now a third in the semifinals. This is not bad, not at all, especially considering how I have not been training to get this far…or have I? After the 2018 debacle and subsequent surgeries and re-hab, I modified my outlook. I will only go to the games if I can do it without upending my whole life.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The past year of training has been easeful and enjoyable. I was not constantly chasing the next personal record or doing everything to finish the listed workout as prescribed. I cut my training days down to 5 of 7 and one of those was a recovery workout. In December I stumbled into Zone 2 training with Invictus, so I started dabbling in that. The results were unquestionably good. I felt better and had much more stamina.

 

The ramp-up into the games does require a bit more refinement, though. A little bit more volume, and a lot more intensity. More running and going back to the drawing board on the double unders, as well as improving some skills on the rings and bars. This is where the smallest improvements have the biggest impact. I can’t get a lot stronger in 2 months, but I can get just a little better at some skill-based work.

 

We have ramped down this week and I leave on Sunday. The next report will be all about the results! In the meantime, have fun, learn something and Full Effort is Full Victory!!!

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com    

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com         

775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment