Saturday, July 9, 2022

Sunday Story…The Road




To the CrossFit Games Part 2.

The Open comes around at the end of February. Since I am not training for the games, I thought I would hit the open hard. The first workout came out with 3 wall walks, 12 35# DB snatches, and 15 24” box jumps. Due to some scheduling issues, I did it in the middle of a Saturday class with lots of distractions and a messed-up clock. So, Monday morning rolls around and Ellie and I devise a strategy to exploit my Zone 2 training…in other words, go slower to go fast. Bang! I improved my rep count over 15 minutes by about 30 reps. Crushed it and won my first Open workout in 10 years!

 

Ok, interesting but a fluke? The second week comes up and it is dead center in my wheelhouse…185# deadlifts and burpees over the barbell! And, to top it off, the burpee standard is adjusted so the jump is more efficient. I did it the first time and did well but with a few adjustments, the second time improves the score again! I didn’t win this one…but I did end up in a 3-way tie for first!

 

The last workout brings my current kryptonite…double unders! I have to do single-doubles to get any consistency which means I have to do over 200 jumps to get it done. Again, zone 2 comes through…the adaptation that allows my heart rate to recover quicker and get back to work puts me in 10th and for the first time in 10 years of Open competitions I end up on top!

 

I still haven’t adjusted my training from 5 days a week plus 2 or 3 Zone 2 sessions at this point. But the quarterfinals are next!

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com 

775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment