Saturday, July 2, 2022

Sunday Story…The Road

 

To the CrossFit Games 2022 has been unplanned and, in many ways, inadvertent. After my 2018 appearance (13th) I returned home broken. I left home damaged and returned worse. Several surgeries and months of rehab work got me back to working out but as far as my competitive CrossFit career was concerned it was over. After three appearances at the Games, lots of success in the open, and qualifiers it was time to stop the obsession.

 

The pandemic came and went. I did the open in 2021 and the qualifier but nowhere near as seriously as years past. All the workouts were one and done and the results were Ok but not top tier. And I was more than OK with those results. Life was much more harmonious without obsessively working out or following a strict diet plan.

 

In December of 2021 Invictus Masters started some zone 2 training workouts as part of their regular weekly programming. To my great frustration, these were hard to do. The hardest part? Going slow! My brain and body rebelled against the basic philosophy of going slow to go fast. But I stuck to it. Without really realizing what was happening my base level of fitness improved. Neuro-muscular adaptation took place. Slow-twitch muscle fiber got activated and put to work. Heart rate recovery improved.

 

I continued with the regularly scheduled programming and added some of these Zone 2 workouts on my own. Then the 2022 CrossFit Games Open rolled around.

 

Continued next week!

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sundsay-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment