Monday, August 8, 2022

Sunday Story…The Road

 

To the Games Part 6

 

The time has arrived, it’s Games week. We check in on Tuesday afternoon to get uniforms and all the swag. This is the most fun part of the week! New shoes, socks, shorts, and shirts are all in various colors and permutations. It’s fun and exciting to see what No Bull brings to the party. I must admit I am excited to wear the new lifters! But I will be wearing all my tried and true…breaking in new shoes in a competition is a bad idea.

Wednesday is orientation and the first athlete briefing when we find out what the first workouts will be. Unfortunately, I woke up Wednesday morning in severe intestinal distress! Headache, stomach bubbling and churning, extreme fatigue, and dehydration are all at the forefront. This is not good. I do my best to soldier on and manage to get through the day. The athlete briefing reveals some workouts both good and bad for me but none of that matters if my gut doesn’t cooperate.

Thursday is day 1 of the competition. We open with event 2 which is 5 minutes on the Concept 2 bike (a new implement for me!) for calories, followed by 3 minutes to establish 1 rep max strict pull up followed by 3 minutes to establish a 1 rep max front squat. The pull-up I am looking forward to, but the judge is not allowing any knee movement whatsoever and her definition and mine of chin over the bar are clearly at odds! I manage to get 70# but not 75#. Obviously, my personal record of 95# must be using a different standard!

I do manage to get 215# on my front squat which was the plan. With good timing, I picked up the bar at 2:59 and got the rep in as required under the rules. My gut has cooperated to get the job done but is still roiling and unsettled.

 

More on day 1 next week!

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment