To the Games Part 7
The second of 3 workouts is a run/rope climb/dumbbell squat clean. This is going to be the test of LSD. It starts with a 1400-meter run. Certainly, not my wheelhouse, and I finish last of the men and most of the women. But I walk right to the rope and go to work. 4 rope climbs and then 21 DB squat cleans later I finish the round in 2nd or 3rd. Back out to the run and my placing is looking good and the runs are getting faster. Although I time cap out (30 minutes) I end up a surprising 3rd overall.
The last workout throws new skills our way…A Pegboard
and pistols! What! We have a pegboard here at CrossFit Odyssey, but it gets
used about once a year (maybe). It’s a tough skill and every competitor is worried
about it. 2 guys don’t make it up at all. I do but certainly not very quickly.
My double unders are missing in action (again) so I do single-double (it’s only
30) and hit the handstand pushups. These go well for me and I’m back to the single
doubles. I put my rope down but there’s some confusion as to where it goes so,
I only get 1 attempt at a pistol. Which is just as well because 1 is about all
I have! But it’s good enough for 4th place.
At the end of day 1, I survived and sit in 3rd
place. Considering how the day started and my overall health I am pleased with my
performance. 3 workouts done, a 3rd, a 4th, and a 7th,
and I actually feel pretty good. Now to eat, sleep, and recover.
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
No comments:
Post a Comment