It’s time…Gameday is upon me. Up until now, I have been so unexcited to go to Madison. Partly because my injury profile is currently off the charts and partly because I just don’t feel ready.
And now none of that matters. 3 days from now the bell will go off and it will be ON. The chips will fall where they fall. We have had a couple pronouncements of the first 2 days of workouts. I can feel my excitement and anticipation building. My body is feeling better than it has in weeks, maybe months. The work has been done that can be done, and now it’s time to put the head down and get to the finish line.
As I go into this competition my thought process has been vastly different than the past 2 times.
The first time I was wondrous, a bit shell-shocked that I actually made it (#20!) and had no idea what to expect.
The second time I felt confident, having fought through a couple injuries requiring surgery (I was #2) and was really looking forward to showing up and performing.
This time is different. I am, in many ways, broken. Although I qualified #9 I know that any workout could be my last and that includes the ones I will do this afternoon and tomorrow.
So…
The first time was an emotional battle. Did I belong? Could I compete? Was I good enough, tough enough, strong enough?
The second time was a physical battle. Would my strength and endurance be enough? Could I leave a full effort on the field of play?
This time…this time is a mental battle. Can I will it? Can I be smart enough to finish? Can my mental fortitude and perseverance win out over the weakness of the flesh?
Ask me on Sunday…and watch starting Wednesday 08/01 at games.crossfit.com
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Sunday, July 29, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment