The Final Day
Only 2 workouts today…Endure the Coliseum and Final
Positions. Endure the Coliseum is all about the machines…50 Calories each of Ski
erg, Echo bike. Ski Erg, Concept 2 bike with 75 double unders sandwiched in the
middle and at the end. It’s an 18-minute grinder. But remember that whole tactical
error thing that has plagued me the entire week? Well, I did it again.
I got through the first set of double unders well.
Not great but OK. I hit the second ski and I’m tired but I (wrongly) think it’s
a 15-minute time cap instead of 18! Why I have no idea. I get off the ski at
about 12:30-13 minutes and think I need to go full send on the C2 bike. So, I do.
I am crushing that thing! Somewhere around 14:30, I realize I haven’t heard the
announcer saying anything about how much time is left. And it dawns on me, that I
still have 3 minutes to go, and I am running out of gas! No choice but to hang
on. I grab my rope to do the last set of doubles, but time is almost out and so
am I! I manage 26 or so double before I get time capped. I can’t believe I made
a bonehead error like that. But it is what it is. 7th place.
The last event I am excited about is 10 bar muscle-ups
and 45 dumbbell snatches. There’s a 6-minute time cap. I’ve been working hard
on my BMU, and I fully expect to knock out 5-7 right away. Alas, it is not to be. I got
a no-rep on my 3rd one. Normally a no-rep is no big deal but for
some reason, this one really knocks my beak in the dirt. I get off the bar and
after that, it is a struggle to get one. My mount on the bar isn’t working and I
am struggling to get 1 at a time. It is super frustrating, and I am losing my
cool all over the field. Somehow, I managed to get the 10th one (the
crowd went wild by the way!). But about 5:30 has gone by so I only get about 12
snatches in. I got 5th on this one but that’s a small consolation
since I really expected to finish higher.
Next week will be the last recap on the 2023 games.
Stay tuned!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment