We have finished 2 of the 3 workouts of day 1. I finished 9th on the Olympic total and 3rd on the Farmer’s Field. I have no idea of any of this though because I don’t look at the leaderboard at all during the competition. My attitude is simple…I can only control what I do. The only thing I want to worry about is the work right in front of me, not what has already passed or what may be coming tomorrow. And right now, what is in front of me is Helen.
Helen is one of the “girls.” A classic CrossFit benchmark
workout…3 rounds of a 400-meter run, 21 kettlebell swings, and 12 pull-ups. I
am thrilled to see this one. There is one minor glitch…the standard for the
kettlebell swings has shifted to this: the bell must pass above the horizontal
plane of the top of the head and the arms must remain locked and rigid the
whole time. The elbows locked is a challenge as I am used to having a little bend
when I swing…but after a bit of practice, it seems ok.
3,2,1, go…I felt good after the run, the swings go ok
(maybe a no rep or two) but then the pull-ups. Everything goes to heck in a
handbasket. I ended up doing 18 pull-ups. The judge and I were not seeing eye
to eye at all. Or I should say the judge wasn’t seeing my chin over the bar.
The next 2 rounds didn’t go any better and I ended up doing 54 pullups to get
credit for 36. That is not the way I expected this one to go.
I ended up 6th. The difference between my
time and the third-place finisher is about 30 seconds. A few fewer no reps on
the pull-ups and I finish much higher. I am pissed at myself for not being able
to correct what the judge saw. On the field, it is up to the athlete to make
sure the judge can clearly see the standard being met. I didn’t do that.
On to day 2…spoiler alert…there’s a 5K coming!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
PS the photo is me trying to catch the guy in front of me...another 5 yards and I would have had him!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment