Saturday, September 16, 2023

Sunday Story…2023 CrossFit Games Recap VII


Day 2 (part 2)!

In the briefing, the night before day 2 started I was excited when I saw this workout. Finally, we would open with a handstand walk. But like Charlie Brown and the football, it was jerked away at the last moment. We would not open with the handstand walk…we would open with the next element …the 30-box jumps! Oh well. Then they explained the movement standard for the one-legged squats (pistols). We would need to do 5 on one leg then switch to the next leg and complete 20 in total. But wait, that’s not all! You can’t put your foot down or behind you between reps or the rep you just completed doesn’t count. This is bad for me. The other elements…GHD sit-ups and toes to bar are no problem.

So, with Ellie's help, I spent the evening doing the pistols the best I could. I finally got to the point where I could do some. They aren’t easy but they are doable. And considering I didn’t think I would get any, that is a win!

3,2,1 go, and we are off. Box jumps and GHD sit-ups are easy but then the pistols! I managed to get the first 20 but not without a few no reps. 30 Toes to bar are next and then back to the pistols…I manage 17 more before the bell rings. Time capped (again!) but it is good enough for 5th. I guess I’m not the only one who found it challenging!

The last workout is simple…run a 5k (3.1 miles). It is a 3-lap course and all there is to it is to put one foot in front of the other and finish. When I get ready to leave the stadium for the last lap, I look at the clock and realize I am running a sub-9-minute mile pace! Woohoo. Just hang on and finish. I finished at 26:48. A personal best in quite some time and just under 9-minute miles. It is good enough for 6th!

The last day is coming up in the next installment!

 

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com 

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment