Saturday, September 9, 2023

Sunday Story…2023 CrossFit Games Recap VI


Day 2!

We start the day with a test called “Pulling Power.” Honestly, when I looked at this one, I was stoked…3 rounds for time of 3 rope climbs (17’), 10 deadlifts at 275#, pulling a sled for 42 feet, and finishing by pushing the sled back 126 feet. Rope climbs are always good for me and the weight on the deadlift is in my sweet spot.

Remember a few issues ago when I mentioned “tactical error?” This one had tactical error written all over it. But I didn’t realize what went wrong until several days later. I start the rope climbs, but things are not going smoothly. I’m having a problem gripping the rope with my feet which means I am using mostly my arms and upper body when I should be using my legs to “stand up” on the rope. The first 10 deadlifts are no problem but during the sled pull, I can feel the fatigue in my grip and forearms. When I return to the rope climbs my grip is going and my lats are on fire. I still can’t get any purchase on the rope with my feet. I failed one climb and then another. Back to the deadlifts which go quickly but tax the forearms. The second sled pull gets done but it is a serious struggle. Round 3 on the rope climb is an unmitigated disaster. Somehow, I managed to get to the 3rd one, but I failed at 16 feet and fell all the way down. I’m time-capped out and finish 6th.

The error? I didn’t realize the shoes I wore did not allow me to grab the rope! When I wear these shoes in our box, I usually only need 1 or 2 pulls to get to 12 feet. But these Xero shoes don’t have the necessary side gripping contours. Big oops! By the time we finished, I had a nasty rope burn on my right shin and smaller ones on both inner thighs. Again, a tactical error cost me a lot of points in a workout that should have been in my wheelhouse! There were a lot of swear words heard!

Workout 2 next week!

 

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

No comments:

Post a Comment