Saturday, November 7, 2020

Sunday Story…Right or Connected?

Every time I answer an email, make a comment on a blog, engage online, or have a conversation I have an opportunity to make a connection. Or to create strife and disconnection. I can open up possibilities or I can close off any hope.

 

I can make my argument, spew my answer (which is the one right true answer) all over or I could ask a question and seek to understand.

 

We often confuse being mean or cutting with being funny. Really all that does is create more disconnect. You might find it funny but the object of your remarks only finds hurt and disconnection. Using the excuse of “it’s only a joke” doesn’t mitigate the hurt or take the sting of your words away.

 

Once your words have escaped your mouth or your keyboard they are like an escaped animal…out of your control and in the wild. You can’t take them back. Wouldn’t it be better to slow down and be measured in your responses?

 

You can be right or you can be connected but it is difficult to be both.

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment