It is often said that music lives in the spaces between
the notes. In those places where there is rest, music gets defined. It is an
oddity.
This is also often true of human communication. The
real communication lies underneath the actual words, in what is not being said.
The art of reading between the lines is not taught. It is only because
somewhere along the way someone (usual the writer) points out what they really
meant when they wrote or said what they wrote or said. Too often we are left to
be a better guesser in this arena of human communication.
Expecting me to be a better guesser is a foolish game.
Years ago I was told to “say what you mean and mean what you say.” If I do that
I leave nothing to chance…you don’t have to guess at what I mean. It should be
crystal clear by my words. That is the goal of communication…to give my reader
or listener a precise picture of what I am saying or writing.
Next time you say or write something, ask yourself…”am
I clearly and concisely telling this person what it is I want them to know or
learn from my words?” If the answer is anything but a resounding yes then try
again.
Message sent is NOT message received. And it is
incumbent on the sender to make sure the receiver gets the exact message I have
sent.
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
No comments:
Post a Comment