Saturday, May 23, 2020

Sunday Story…Eating Away


I’m home all day and I can’t resist the siren call emanating from the cookie jar or refrigerator or the pantry. Help!

It is really easy to succumb to that call. We all get it. For me it’s freshly made granola. I can devour that stuff by the handful. I mean if I have 1 handful I can easily go for 3 or 6. And there isn’t any amount of exercise that is going to work 1500 calories of granola off.

Worse yet, after I eat about 6 handfuls of that deliciousness my belly hurts, and then I start hating on myself for a) having no self-discipline and b) being a pig. There just isn’t any win there except for the few moments of the first handful. That first handful is where all the pleasure is both in my mouth and my belly. After that I am like a junkie looking for my next fix.

What to do? Here are some ideas:
First stop beating yourself up about it. You’re human. You love food. It’s OK. So take that first spoonful and savor it. Enjoy that first one like it is the last and only one. Revel in it the taste, the feel in your mouth, and the glorious joy of feeling it nourish your body (and your soul).

Second, put the temptation out of sight. Hide the cookie jar in the cupboard. Hide the ice cream in the back of the freezer. This won’t stop you but at least the cries from the cookie jar will be harder to hear!

Third, before you start going down the path of no return, do a quick self-assessment and determine if this is what you really want, or are you just filling time, or being bored, or substituting this for something you are avoiding. Is there something else you could do? On the other hand if you are a solid YES then see #1 above.

Look, none of us want to be some undisciplined slob stuffing our faces indiscriminately, on the other hand, we also don’t want to live some colorless joy-less existence, either. So decide when you are going to indulge that you are HUGE YES and then dig in and enjoy!

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment