Way back when you were a wee child, you learned new things all the time. It didn’t matter that you weren’t very good at them for a while. Eventually, you got better. You wanted the outcome (I Can Walk!) and the struggle to get there was far outweighed by the desire to get the outcome.
And now, some decades into learning new stuff, I may be a little tired of the feeling that comes along with the process of learning new stuff. I want the outcome but now the journey looks much more difficult.
The journey really isn’t any more difficult…think about learning to walk…you fell down innumerable times…that’s hard, picking yourself up time after time. No, now the problem is I don’t like feeling incompetent. Unfortunately, if I want to grow I am going to have to get uncomfortable.
The process is something like this:
1. I realize something can be done.
2. I realize I can’t do it
3. I get better at doing it if I am willing to keep after it.
Step 2 is where things get messy. That’s the grey mess of the transformation cocoon. It’s frustrating, difficult and uncomfortable. But the growth and transformation make it worth the struggle.
I Can Walk!!!!
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Saturday, March 2, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment