Saturday, September 20, 2025

Sunday Story…Catch some Z's

 

Sleep is the most overlooked component of your fitness journey. I know we've discussed it before and written about it at great length, but as more studies are conducted and research emerges, the importance of this topic becomes increasingly apparent.

When I was a young adult (back in the late 1900s), we were told to sleep less. Well, now here we are all these years later, and we realize 4 hours isn’t enough.

We also need to have high-quality sleep. In other words, we need to pass through all the various components of an evening's sleep: REM sleep, deep sleep, and light sleep. They all help us restore and recover from our daily work. What we often overlook is how many small factors can impact our restorative and rejuvenating sleep.

There are all kinds of things that can affect your ability to fall asleep, stay asleep, and experience an entire night of restorative sleep.

Little things like:

  • Changing my pattern of activity before I go to bed
  • Having caffeine a little too late in the day
  • Being over-stimulated before I went to bed

How can you improve your sleep consistency? Can you go to bed at the same time every night?  I see many of you at five and 5:30 in the morning, so I know you're getting up at the same time, 4-5 days a week. The hard part is getting to bed at the same time every night. Between social and family activities, it can be hard to get into bed.

If you're interested in learning how to build muscle and strength, sign up for a free fitness assessment at www.crossfitodyssey.com or reach out to me directly, and let's get you started on your journey to extraordinary results.

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment