It's a slippery slope when we allow our standards to
become compromised. Once we're on that slope, it becomes increasingly easier
for those standards to become non-existent. This is why it's so important to
know what your standards are and to maintain them. Whether it's in a movement
pattern like a squat or a pull-up, or in how you will allow people to talk to
you, or how you allow people to talk around you, these standards are in place
to help keep you safe and to guide you forward in the direction you want to
reach.
Keep in mind that although standards can often be
objective, they are often subjective as well. An objective standard is one that
we all agree is the same, regardless of who applies it. I must squat below
parallel. My chin must go over the bar if I'm doing a pull-up. These are
standards we all agree upon.
An objective standard is one that I set and is applicable
to me alone. I get to decide what my standards are for the people around me,
for my relationships, for my career. Those are the standards that I get to set. What is a standard for me may not be a
standard for somebody else. In terms of subjective standards, it's okay if they
don't match up with the people around you, but you are going to experience some
cognitive dissonance that you will need to correct. And by that, I mean you
will either have to change your standards or change the people around you.
Again, do it correctly. Do it correctly the first
time. Do it correctly every time.
If you're interested in learning how to build muscle
and strength, sign up for a free fitness assessment at www.crossfitodyssey.com
or reach out to me directly, and let's get you started on your journey to
extraordinary.
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment