What would John do?
Just a quick return to training for a
moment. One of the most important shifts has been in mindset. It used to be
that I never ever missed a workout or made any changes to doing the work listed…no
matter what! I would keep working in the face of almost any obstacle. And if I
didn’t or couldn’t, I would be upset and try to make it up if it was at all possible.
Now I have given myself permission to miss a workout or adjust the work as I
see fit. Now, I have been at this game for quite some time, and I know my body well.
If something comes up occasionally and I miss a day, no big deal. I just move
on. No guilt, no recriminations just smile and move on.
Now as far as supplementation…I believe every adult
over the age of 25 should take 2000mg of glucosamine sulfate every day. It
works and will help keep your connective tissue healthy. As a bonus, your hair
and nails will grow faster. Also 1800 mg of turmeric every day for
inflammation. Inflammation is the killer and when we train hard, we are
inducing inflammation. Our body’s healthy reaction to inflammation is to create
adaptations…build muscle, get stronger, faster, and fitter but as we age, we need help to manage the process. I take a multivitamin and a probiotic as well
every day. I do take a healthy sleep supplement that has 1 gram of melatonin
in as well as some other things. There are a ton of supplements out there and
they may or may not work for you. Most have spurious studies if any at all. So,
if you are going to take something try to figure out how you will know it is working.
And try to make sure you can measure those results, not be based on
feeling alone!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment