We often say that youth is wasted on the young. The perspective we gain from every year of life is irreplaceable. Way back in the day when you went to an amusement park you had to have a ticket to get on a ride. Then certain rides took more tickets, or you had to have a special pass to get the privilege of certain classes of rides. Then came the unlimited ride ticket. You can ride anything you want.
When we
are young life looks like that…an amusement park with unlimited rides. The problem
with unlimited rides is that we lose appreciation and enjoyment of the
individual ride. I mean the mad hatter’s teacups versus the Matterhorn? Both are good rides but one is a bit more exciting than the other.
On the
other hand, if I had to use a certain number of tickets to ride the ride, I
may have a greater appreciation for the ride. And if you have a limited number
of tickets, you will be more mindful of how you spend them.
Life is
not an unlimited-ride amusement park. You have a limited amount of time,
opportunity, money, or other resources. How are you going to spend them? When I
was young it felt like I had all the tickets I would ever need. Now, given the
fact that I can see the finite number of tickets left, I appreciate the value
of every ticket.
What
ride are you spending your tickets on today?
John
Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment