Saturday, October 29, 2022

Sunday Story…Making Meaning


As humans, we are meaning-making machines. We want the events and the occurrences in our lives to have meaning. Yet over the course of our lives what had meaning when I was 25 may have no meaning whatsoever at 50. And at 70 I may not even remember what happened that seemed so important then.

 

We are all writing our autobiographies every day. What we choose to focus on, the things we replay in our minds, and the stuff we worry about are all things that make up our story. These are the chapters of our book.

 

The story I tell myself shapes who I am and who I will be. What I make the things in my life mean has me living my life in particular ways. Some of these stories are deeply ingrained in us. So deep that we often forget the actual happening and are only left with the pattern of behavior and reactions that I do and have. Unfortunately, our lives can be ruled by decisions we made when we were 11 or 17, or 23. Decisions that may no longer serve who you want to be today.

 

It may be time to edit your autobiography. It’s your story, you get to decide what it says about you and your life. If you step back and look objectively are your decisions today being made by the you that has culminated years of wisdom and experience or are they being made by a version of you that no longer exists.

 

Your story is yours. Tell the one you want the rest of us to hear.

 

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com 

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment