Saturday, April 30, 2022

Sunday Story…LSD (III)


Ok, now we get to the meat of the matter. How do we increase or achieve the level of “aerobic” fitness we want without sacrificing our other fitness gains? I do not want to look like a marathon runner or an ultra-runner. By the same token, however, I don’t want a body that looks like it can’t run across the street.

 

The way I look at this is on a session per week rather than days per week. I need at least 3 strength/hiit sessions per week. And I need at least 3 heart rate/base building sessions per week. Occasionally these will be the same. My base-building sessions are going to vary from 20 to 120 minutes. Rare will be the 120 minutes. Most often will be the 30–60-minute ranges. During these sessions, my target heart rate will be in zone two range…about 120 bpm for many of us. Here is a link to the Maffetone method to help you determine your heart rate ranges: https://philmaffetone.com/method/process/


This is how we train to be healthier and to live longer! Aerobic work is key in a balanced fitness program. To recap, here are a just a few of the benefits:

·         Cardiovascular efficiency and health

·         Efficiency of respiration

·         Blood flow

·         Insulin sensitivity and blood sugar regulation

·         Body composition!

·         Movement efficiency and function

·         Sense of wellness

       

We are starting a new program soon to explore this facet of training. If you want to join us, please reach out soon!

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment