As my regular readers know this space is usually relegated to philosophical or motivational information. Today, however, we are going to detour into a more personal recounting.
As some of you know we recently completed the first
stage of qualifying for the CrossFit Games known as the “open.” 3 workouts over
3 weeks were designed to winnow the field for the second round. I finished that
contest in first place out of over 1200 participants aged sixty-five and over.
This accomplishment was surprising. My training
regimen has been nowhere near what it was back in 2017 or 18. Not the same
volume or intensity, no personal programming, no tracking food obsessively. I
have purposefully dialed all those things down.
So, what happened? How, with less volume and less
intensity, did I manage to win one workout outright, tie for first on another, and a sixth on the last one? What sorcery or magic pill made this possible?
Three little letters…LSD. That’s right…Long Slow
Distance. Back in December Invictus started throwing some “zone 2” training
into the mix. Zone 2 is a heart rate pace that is slow…for me, it’s about 120
beats per minute (bpm). That is a conversational pace. That is a snail’s pace,
especially when viewed through the lens of high-intensity training. The first
time I tried it I rowed 1000 meters and it took almost 8 minutes… which is twice
my normal 1000m time! Every time my heart rate spiked, I had to stop or slow
way down. Now? I can row 1000m in just over 4 minutes and keep my heart rate
down to 121!
Stay tuned next week for the rhyme and reason behind
this shift!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stoeis.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment