Saturday, December 5, 2020

Sunday Story…Motivation


We humans are an odd lot. One of the most common things I hear is, “I need some motivation.” It isn’t like I have a bucket full of motivation to dump on your head. So what are we really saying when we ask for more motivation?

 

Motivation, generally, comes in two flavors…the carrot or the stick…punishment, or reward. I can be motivated by fear…something bad will happen if I don’t do X. Conversely, I can be motivated by the promise of reward…If I do X I will get Y. the problem is that both of these things are fleeting. Once I get the reward or punishment the motivation is gone unless I want more reward or am afraid of the bad things happening again. Sooner or later, though I’ll get tired of either or both. Thus the “I need motivation request.”

 

True motivation isn’t found outside of us. That will always disappear after a certain amount of time. True motivation is derived from a deep knowledge that what you get from the activity isn’t the results but the process of doing. This deep knowledge takes time to develop, I can’t say a few magic words and there it is. You need to believe that the activity will be its own reward. Your mindset has to discover the reward inside the doing. Once that happens motivation is automatic.

 

It isn’t the destination that is the reward; it is the journey to get there.

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

 

 

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedblitz.com%2F%7E%2Fi%2F639632314%2F0%2Fsethsblog%2Fposts&t=1607177088&ymreqid=a1a61ba9-1d65-1aef-1c47-fa000101c000&sig=nB5Sp0nTl4vF_CUH.BIsVQ--~D   



No comments:

Post a Comment