Saturday, July 4, 2020

Sunday Story…Get Back Jack

Getting back into your groove is not easy. And a large part of the problem is the motivation to get back to the starting line.

Here’s what I mean...before CoVid I weighed all my food, weighed myself every day, never missed a workout, had a plan for my fitness, and paid close attention to all the things that helped my recovery and recuperation.

After CoVid...not so much. I stopped weighing myself and my food. I skipped workouts. My workout goals and plans just didn’t seem to motivate me. It felt pointless. I even stopped analyzing my recovery data.

In 60 days I lost my routine. I lost my motivation and my reasons to keep doing what I was doing. I felt rudderless and powerless. I suspect this is because of the nature of the crisis. It was out of my hands. I have no agency to do anything about this trauma...it is going to continue no matter what I do. I can do what I can do to keep myself and the people around me safe but I can’t do anything to solve the problem.

I don’t do well with helplessness. I don’t do well with uncertainty. I don’t do well with powerlessness.

I have the power to control my reactions, my feelings, my decisions about what to do in the crisis. I am going to execute that power. I am going to re-create my routines and my plans. And then I am going to follow them. This is the power I have. And the power you have.

Look out, Jack. I’m back.

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412


No comments:

Post a Comment