A few months ago (seems like a lifetime!) I visited Costa Rica for a week or so. As you probably know the language of Costa Rica is Spanish. I don’t speak Spanish. I was reminded of this fact almost constantly. Street signs, menus, list of products, explanations in tourist spots…all in Spanish. All the people are speaking in Spanish. The dominant culture relies on Spanish.
When I left home I didn’t really think about the fact that I speak English. It’s my natural state. When in Costa Rica I was constantly reminded (by myself) that I speak English, not Spanish. I benefit from being part of the dominant culture and when I am not part of the dominant culture I struggle and I stress. Will I be able to make myself understood? Will I manage even though I can’t speak Spanish? Will I be taken advantage of because I am an English speaker?
I was reminded every day that I was living in a different culture, one that I was not really a part of since my ability to communicate was remedial at best. All the systems, the media, the standards were telling me that I didn’t fit in, that I didn’t belong. The people of Costa Rica weren’t doing that…they were kind and considerate and understanding of my clumsy attempts at communication. But the dominant culture had me at a disadvantage.
Now imagine the dominant culture can’t be fixed by something as simple as immersive language lessons. Imagine there is no change you can effect to meld into that culture. You will always be outside looking in, even when you have done everything the dominant culture asked of you. You are still at a decided disadvantage.
A fish doesn’t realize he is swimming in water. There is a lot of “water” in the world I inhabit. I don’t think about the fact that I speak English until I go someplace where they don’t. I don’t realize how unfair, counterproductive, and stressful all the “water” is to people who can’t swim in it. It is going to take a lot of effort to make it work for everyone. It is taking a lot of energy and work to see how it doesn’t work for everyone. The water is everywhere.
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Saturday, June 27, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment