Friday, July 10, 2020

Sunday Story…Perfect

People often come to me and tell me they are going to join the box when they get in shape. I used to hear the same thing when I was a Martial Arts instructor. “I’m going to get in shape. Then I’ll be ready to do (fill in the blank). Never mind the fact that joining the box and the martial arts school is designed to get you in shape.

This is true of many things. I don’t want to (fill in the blank) because I want to get really good first. Or I want to be able to do it like so and so. Whatever it is you want to do you aren’t going to be any good at until you get in there and start. You will never be perfect. Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, and Wayne Gretzky are all very good at what they do but they aren’t perfect. But to get good you will need to go ahead and do it anyway, perfection be damned.

Writers write, Dancers dance, and drummers drum even when it isn’t very good. Often I sit down to pen this to you every week (for over 10 years now) and I have no idea how it is going to be received, if it will be any good, or if I can even write anything at all. Yet, here it is, once again.

Don’t let the drive for perfect get in the way of practicing your craft. You may never achieve perfection but maybe you will get really good at the process of perfecting your craft. Shoot for perfect but don’t let perfect interfere with getting the job done.

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment