Saturday, October 6, 2018

Sunday Story…Sinners

And saints. Cops and criminals. Perpetrator and victim.

I am both things. We all are. Think about it.

I have done things that weren’t right, weren’t OK. I have had things done to me that weren’t OK, that weren’t right. I have overstepped my own boundaries and overstepped other people’s boundaries as well. Both things are true. For me to say otherwise would be an untruth.

Admitting this doesn’t remove the stain, nor does it make it worse. What it does is make me more human. My foibles are mine. I need to own them. I need to forgive myself for all the times I didn’t stand up for one of my own boundaries. I need to hope that the boundaries I transgressed weren’t so egregious as to cause permanent damage. If they were, I am sorry. I didn’t realize what I was doing at the time. It wasn’t intentional. I will do my very best not to let it happen again.

We live in a changing culture, one that is almost quicksand. I look back at our attitudes 50 years ago and I see that we were badly mistaken. There were so many things we (especially the we that is I) believed, picked up from various places, said, and did that were, looking back at them now were wrong, very wrong.

As I said, I am sorry. I’m not perfect but I will do better. We (all of us) need to do better.

“There is a field beyond right and wrong. I will meet you there.” - Rumi

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Coming soon: www.Johnmariotti.com


No comments:

Post a Comment