Friday, September 14, 2018

Sunday Story…The Scales

Of Life have a tendency to move up and down. Rarely are they perfectly balanced. After all, when they are balanced there is no motion at all…everything is perfectly still and in stasis. The problem with balance is there is no place for movement. When the scale is centered I can’t go forward or back or even side to side.

If I want to do something I am going to have to move the scale to one side or the other. Sometimes we move the scale because it’s time….time to raise the kids, time to focus on the career or relationship or time to relax and reset after a period of intense focus.

Sometimes I move the scale purposefully. I make a decision to push all the weight to one side and do what is on that side and nothing else. Often, though, this is at the expense of all the other things on the other side of the scale. If I spend too long in the singular pursuit of a thing in complete abandonment to everything else the scales could end up permanently broken.

Depending on what you want it may be better to move the scale back and forth shifting the emphasis back and forth or in several different directions, always coming back to center, to stasis. In other words whatever your concentration be single-minded and focused. Don’t multitask your concentration.

Do what you are doing. Finish that and go do the other thing.

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Coming soon: www.johnmariotti.com
775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment