Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Road to the Games…Day 5

It is the last day of competition. My body feels good. I had to go out and buy some gloves after yesterday’s 100 pull ups. There were 2 workouts today.

I had no idea going into today’s competition of who the leaders were. I had a pretty good idea who they weren’t though! I knew I was #6 going into the WODS though.

Today was hard. The “up down” did not go my way. I fell off the box on the 3rd lateral jump (got the rep though!) so I modified how I was jumping from lateral to straight on and off. These boxes are much wider than what most of us have been used to. I did some in the warm up area and thought the lateral felt right but in retrospect the size of the box was just a bit wider than I could handle and be at optimum efficiency. My rhythm on the toes to bar sucked and the wall balls were even worse. A clear target and the sun behind it really made it challenging (for everyone!). I think I no-repped at least 10 of these. The dips were good for me, although by this time I was pretty whacked and kept the sets down to 5 instead of 10. On the way back it was just embrace the suck. And suck it did, especially missing the last toes to bar…I never miss toes to bar but my grip was going and I just flat out missed. 17:26 minutes of fun and it was over.

In the final WOD I was excited…burpee muscle ups! I had practiced these just recently and was very happy with how they went. Sprint 100 yards…no worries until my left hamstring caught a hitch about 30 yards into it which slowed me down a bit. I laid into the burpee muscle ups with a vengeance and then I missed the last muscle up! AAAArgh. If you do muscle ups you know how bad it sucks to miss one. I tried again too soon and missed another. Waited and got up and just ground it out to the lock out, it was ugly but done. I grabbed the bar to snatch and lost the weight behind me (another thing that almost never happens to me!) I had forgotten about the hamstring and it hit me as I gripped and ripped…a tactical error when snatching. I settled and got the 5 snatches for a 2:27 time.

When the dust settled I finished 6th in both of the wods and finished the week in 6th overall. I was very pleased with my performance. There were some things I could have done better in retrospect but based on what I knew on Monday I felt I put out a full effort. Which translates to full victory…woohoo!

Next up: The aftermath of the games.

Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.
Mahatma Gandhi


Namaste

John Mariotti
www.crossfit-odyssey.com
www.martialartsnevada.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment