Last Monday my Father passed from the world. It wasn’t unexpected; his health had been failing for some time. I feel sad he won’t get to see what amazing people his great grandchildren will be and they won’t get the joy of having his wisdom and humor in their lives. Every time I spent any time with him over the last 5 or 6 years I made sure there were no unsaid things between us. I never knew if that time would be the last time so I made sure to say what ever needed to be said and to tell him I loved him.
My Father taught me many things over my 56 years and those things have molded me into who I am today.
My Father was a teacher for most of my life. He taught me many lessons from how to love to how to work. The example he set for me in all areas of life set me on the path I am currently on.
I didn’t always listen as well as I should have and I certainly didn’t follow his advice as well as I should have but he never made me wrong for going my own way (even when it was messed up!)
He taught me how to value other people based on who they were and what they did, not the color of their skin, their religion, or social status.
He taught me about compassion and serving the world through his own giving.
He was a quiet man; his actions spoke volumes about his character.
He taught me that if you were hired to do a job, you had an obligation to do that job as well as possible. If you were going to do something, do it right.
He taught me it was more important to do the right thing than the easy thing.
He taught me to set goals and stay the course until you get to the end. You are finished when you have completed the goal, not when you think you are done.
He taught me that what you did was not as important as how you did it.
He instilled in me a love of sport and competition and the daily training those things involve.
My father taught me to be a man of my word.
He loved his family and made sure we were supported.
All the good things I have become I credit my father (and mother). The messed up parts are all on me.
Daddy I miss you deeply and will every day. The impact of all the lessons you taught have been spread far and wide. Your legacy of duty, kindness, and hard work will live forever.
Thank you for being my Father and I love you.
Namaste
John Mariotti
www.crossfit-odyssey.com
www.martialartsnevada.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Follow me on Facebook
Sunday, August 10, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment