Monday, July 21, 2014

The Road to the Games Day 2


Things are heating up. After landing and getting through the athlete check in yesterday, the rest of the day was spent relaxing and some light movement. I swam a bit and ran a bit. I ate.

The folks at Reebok have really out done themselves. Name and number on all the gear, the right sizes and the new shoes….the shoes! Athlete check-in was smooth and effortless, the people (volunteers?) were happy and helpful and made it easy from start to finish. They handled a lot of people and made it seem like they were all there just for you. I ran into a number of guys I have competing against in the virtual world. I have seen their results, in some cases I have seen their pictures. To a man they are gracious and welcoming. The field is shaping up to have some interesting results.

Today we had our first briefing. This is where we are told about what to expect over the next few days and more specifically, how the events are going to go tomorrow. Probably the most impressive thing is the amount of equipment and organization an event like this requires. There are tons of (literally tons) of weights, bars, and equipment. The number of people putting in hours of work to make this happen is huge.

Bottom line?
These events will test the fitness of every participant. They will test pure strength and power (dead lift), balance and coordination (hand stand walks), speed and power (sled pull), strength and cardio respiratory endurance (running and rope climbing). They will test time domains…a dead lift every 30 seconds, 2 minutes of walks and pulls, and an open workout with a 16 minute time cap. All of the energy systems will be tried and taxed. There are sprints and strategies, and one pure lift. And this is just day 1! This is truly what CrossFit is about, movements that will test all the facets of fitness…coordination, agility, speed, strength, power, cardio respiratory endurance, stamina, balance and flexibility.

Coach CJ Martin is here and we are ready to roll!

Let the Games begin!

Namaste
John Mariotti
www.crossfit-odyssey.com
www.martialartsnevada.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Follow me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment