Sunday Story…Man or MouseEvery once in awhile I really don’t want to sit down and write this thing. It’s a beautiful day and I could be doing lots of other things. Many of you might even say…so don’t write it this week. Just take a week off and no one is going to notice. After over 2 years and over 100 posts you can take a break.
I suppose I could. But I know a number of you would notice and wonder what was going on. I might get a phone call or an email to inquire what happened to their story. Was I sick? Did something happen? And to answer …”oh, I just didn’t feel up to it today”…is just a little more than lame.
Yet how often do we do just that. Blow something off just because we didn’t “feel” like it today. How many workouts have been lost to that feeling? How many worthwhile projects didn’t get done because someone just didn’t feel like it? Or maybe it isn’t “fun” today. So I’m not going to do it. Isn’t life supposed to be all fun and games?
What if Thomas Edison decided he didn’t feel like working on the light bulb after finding about 100 ways it wouldn’t work? Maybe A. Lincoln should have given up after losing the first 2 elections of his career because it wasn’t fun anymore. Perhaps you should have quit trying to walk after you fell the first dozen or so times. After all how fun is it to get up and fall down over and over and over again?
Sometimes we have to do things because we said we would do them. I am committed to writing this story every week. It is called the Sunday Story, not the every other Sunday Story or the once a month Sunday Story. And honestly even if it was the once a month story there would be times when I wouldn’t feel like writing it then either. It isn’t about the writing or the story, it’s about all the other choices there are in the world. Working in the garden, mowing the lawn, sitting in a hot tub, taking a nap, reading a book are all things that come to mind as alternatives to this. So why do it? Why do it just because I said I would do it?
There are lots of time in my life I haven’t done what I said I would do. Women I said I would love forever, that I would hold and take care of, commitments I made that I broke. After all, those commitments are so much bigger than 1000 words on the screen. Well…I was wrong. I failed. I didn’t do what I said I was going to do. Maybe I received information that had me change my commitment. Maybe I was to chicken to admit the failure to myself and to them. This is and was wrong.
What do we do in light of new information? What if I get information that I can no longer keep this commitment to you …to keep writing and sending you a story each and every week? What then? Just stop? Just let it go because I don’t “feel” like it anymore?
No I would write a final letter, a good bye story a swan song if you will. And no, this is not it. Too often we just let things go. It is easier to walk off than it is to say good bye. It is easier to pretend it isn’t our responsibility to confess we are unable to do what we said we were going to do. It admits a deep fault within us and whoever wants to do that? After all aren’t I perfect? Or at least I like to think I am a good person, and conscious and caring and righteous and more.
And what about those things that we have already walked away from? That we just quit without saying why, or what or far thee well? At the very least don’t you think you owe it to yourself to own your bad behavior? Maybe you can’t go back and apologize or finish the thing you started…sometimes it is too late, the opportunity has passed and everyone has moved on. Yet that little nick in the fabric of your commitment cape is still there and it needs to be mended. And the person who needs it mended is you.
You are your own super hero or your own alter ego. Are you Clark Kent or Superman? Granted, sometime we go back and forth but the guy we all look up to is Superman, not the wishy washy, unsure and mousy Clark. No, we want to be more like Superman…confident, daring, calm, brave, Committed. Too bad Superman could not walk around the streets all the time just so we could see him in his everyday life, when he wasn’t flying around saving the world. We know Superman would follow up on his commitments. That he would do the right thing, eat the right food, and do the things that were in concert with who he was each and every day.
You are Superman. Maybe in some moments you are Clark but really you are Superman. You might not like to admit it because then you will have to be that person. You will have to be committed and you will have to be conscious and calm and brave and daring. Lets step out of the phone book and step into your Superman tights and cape start flying around to save the world. Keep your word.
I just did.
Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com
Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://feel-good-friday.blogspot.com/
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment