Saturday, April 12, 2025

Sunday Story…Nutrition Notes


I am a little behind on this one. I just discovered the “800 Gram Challenge.” EC Synkowski, a very well-qualified nutritionist and coach, created this challenge. The challenge is simple: eat 800 grams, by weight, of the fruits and vegetables of your choice. Then, continue to eat whatever else you want. So, you focus on adding healthy foods to your diet, not eliminating the foods you love!

I know 800 grams sounds like a lot. It’s about 6 cups or just short of 2 pounds. A cup is about the size of your fist. You can eat fresh, frozen, or canned fruits and vegetables. However, the weight is determined by the weight of the fruits and vegetables, not the water in the can. And no sugar is added to the canned goods, so your mom’s home-canned cherries won’t work! Also, dried fruits and veggies don’t count. Corn does count as a vegetable, as do potatoes.

The thought behind this is simple: We do not eat enough real food. Most of us do not eat enough fruits and vegetables, which contain crucial nutrients (minerals, vitamins, and fiber, among others) for our health.

Before you raise your hand and ask about calories, I want you to know that 6 cups equal 400-500 calories. Of course, it will depend on how much of anything you eat, but that is a pretty good ballpark. Honestly, you aren’t going to add those 500 calories; you will substitute for some other more calorically dense foods.

This resembles the Paleo diet in many ways: meat, fruit, vegetables, minimal starch, and no sugar. Those of you who have been around a while will recognize this (it’s the first sentence of 100 words of Fitness!).

I’m in the 800-gram challenge! Care to join me?

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment