The CrossFit Open has come and gone. As some of you may know, I did well, considering I was less than four months out of total knee replacement surgery. I finished in the top one hundred, seventy-two to be exact. That meant I qualified to participate in the semifinals.
I won’t be doing that. I am choosing to limit my
participation this year for several reasons.
My primary concern is my knee. Although I did well in
the three weeks of the Open, I only worked out one weekend each week. The
semifinals are five workouts over one weekend, all maximum effort. I might get
one or two, but not four or five. I don’t think that is going to be the best
thing for my recovery.
Secondly, the timing does not work for me. The
semifinals start this weekend—today (Thursday), to be exact. I might have
considered it if it was sometime in May.
Third, although the workouts do not include actual
squatting, they include single-arm dumbbell lunges (my current kryptonite).
This movement was strenuous before my knee surgery, but now, only 4.5 months
after surgery, combined with 50 24” box jump overs, it looks very ominous.
Finally, my training has been more relaxed than in
the last 10 or 11 years. It feels harmonious and easy, and I enjoy the lack of
pressure to perform daily.
Most importantly, after last year's event, I decided
I was out for the next few years. Maybe a year or two of not training hard will
bring back the spark needed to compete at the highest level. The bottom line is
that although there is cheese at the end of that tunnel, I am no longer
interested in that particular cheese!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment