Saturday, April 20, 2024

Sunday Story…The Problem with Discipline

A week or two ago I wrote about discipline and why it is more important than motivation. Motivation comes and goes but discipline is what gets you up on the cold dark mornings. Discipline is what gets you into the gym when you really don’t want to be there.

The problem with discipline is this: It isn’t something you can pick off the shelf. You aren’t born with it. No one can pour some discipline down your throat and have it magically start working for you. Where do you find and cultivate discipline?

Discipline is found next to self-respect. If you don’t respect yourself and your goals and aspirations discipline won’t be found. Maybe someone told you you had to be part of the 4 AM riser club to be successful. Yet you can’t seem to get out of bed until 5. You don’t believe that getting up at 4 is important. You don’t respect that goal. Then it begins a downward spiral. I can’t get up when I’m supposed to, so I’ll never be successful. I may as well quit now. Yet there are a lot of successful people who get up much later than 4 AM.

You must be fully bought into your goals and aspirations to find the discipline necessary to do the things needed to achieve those goals. If you want to be a writer to must believe you have something to write before you have the discipline to sit down and put pen to paper.

Once you believe, once you respect your goals the discipline will be found right there. Self-respect breeds discipline. Find things that light your fire, and you will do whatever it takes to do those things.

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

 

No comments:

Post a Comment