There is an old Zen saying that goes something like this:
Before enlightenment chop wood, carry water.
After enlightenment chop wood, carry water.
In other words, no matter what happens life is still
going to life. In this case, after the CrossFit games, I will go back to doing
what I was doing before the games.
Here’s what that looks like for me now:
45 minutes of long slow distance 3 days a week. I do
1 each of rowing, skiing, and air biking. I keep my heart rate down in the 120-130
range. At the same time, I am trying to increase my pace. In other words, do
more work using the same or less effort as measured by my heart rate. For
instance, my rowing pace is down to 2:15 or less per 500 meters. That
translates to about 10,000 meters in 45 minutes. The goal is to decrease the pace to 2:00 per 500 and keep the HR down.
I also run a 5k every Saturday morning. Well, almost
every Saturday. You can join me any Saturday you like. And we are keeping the
pace down in that zone 2 range.
This is the biggest bang for your buck in terms of
overall health outcomes. This zone 2 training refashions my cardiorespiratory response
giving me a broad and deep base to draw from. When my HR goes up doing other
work this base allows my heart rate to recover faster, it allows me to work
longer at higher rates without feeling lightheaded or like I’m going to die. In
the middle zones, the discomfort is minimal, and I find I can go even longer.
I’ll talk about what else I’m doing next week. In the
meantime, it’s all about the LSD!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
No comments:
Post a Comment