Sunday Story…Strength
So, first is zone 2, second is the mobility piece, and
third is strength and skill. This one is much harder to quantify. All of us
need to do strength training. The how and what of it varies greatly, however.
In my case, I do 2 days a week dedicated to squatting.
Another day to work on gymnastic skills and drills. Another day to do Olympic
weight training. I also do bar muscle-up progressions (15 minutes) 3 times a
week. I mix various progressions and skills to move my fitness forward. The
exact part of this is less important than the doing of it. You must train for
strength even if all you are doing is lifting an empty barbell or light dumbbell.
This is one of the pillars of fitness and longevity. Stronger is better. Strong
people are harder to kill. Muscles at rest require more energy (calories) than
anything else in your body. If you are stronger, you can eat more (my favorite!)
You may be looking at that and saying that sounds
like too much. I get it. But you really need to start prioritizing your health
and fitness. You don’t have to try to be a world-class athlete unless that’s
one of your goals. But if you want to be mobile and independent into your 70s,
80s, and beyond you need to make your physical health a top priority. We are
seeing way too many people die when they could have made their health more critical.
Whatever time you spend on this I guarantee it will
be time well spent. I would insist that you be mindful and intentional when you
do it. 15 minutes of dedicated work will beat 60 minutes of mindless scrolling
while on cardio equipment.
This stuff isn’t rocket science but it does require
you to work. There are no free lunches in the aging cafeteria!
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment