Saturday, May 20, 2023

Sunday Story…A little more Detour


Someone asked me the other day if I thought I could get my mile time down from 10:30 into the high7/low 8 minutes. The answer is yes. But it isn’t going to be easy. First and foremost is mobility. Think about watching people as they age and walk or run. Their strides keep getting shorter until it becomes a shuffle or as someone says…a waddle!

So, I need to loosen up the hamstrings first, followed by the calves and shins. Then, sprint work to lengthen the stride and find the correct gait (again). Once I find those things then I can begin to go longer and longer. Almost every Games workout has a run in it…maybe from the last movement to the finish line or the starting line to the first movement, or prescribed running. So, running better will result in big rewards. You can do it too but don’t take on too much too soon…go easy for the first few weeks.

A note on losing weight…again, I know bodyweight movements are going to show up (running is a bodyweight movement by the way) so dropping a pound or 5 will make those things exponentially easier. But don’t take my word for it…grab a weight vest and see how much harder things are with just an extra 10 or 20 pounds.

Lastly, and maybe the most important…correct mental attitude. There’s nothing to prove. Worst case scenario I am the 10th fittest man over the age of 65 on the planet! That’s quite an accomplishment right there! I’m enjoying every moment of training and my intention is to smile and feel gratitude for having the good fortune of a body that moves so well, a family that loves me, and a community that supports me! Feels like I already grabbed the brass ring!

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment