Saturday, May 13, 2023


Sunday Story…A bit of a Detour

 Most of my readers may remember the old TV show…” The Wide World of Sports.” The tagline at the beginning of the show was…” the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat.” Why do I bring this up? I just got my official invitation to the 2023 No Bull CrossFit Games. This is the fifth time this has happened since my first CrossFit Open in 2012.

When I finished 2nd last year, I said I was complete with the journey. It was time to focus on Living Longer Better. So that’s what I’ve been doing. Long slow distance, not worrying about 1rm personal records, keeping the intensity down. But…BAM! Here we are. There must really be something to this whole LLB thing!

Several of you have asked me how I am going to ramp up for the games. I am not. I am going to make a few minor adjustments and some of these you can do as well.

First and easiest…Hydration. For me, that means 100+ ounces of water a day. 3% dehydration can result in a 20+% reduction in performance. This is an easy fix. Start today.

Next, make sure protein consumption stays up…150-200 grams a day for me.

This leads to the third thing…lose 5-10 pounds by August. By being just a little bit lighter many things become easier…pullups, toes to bar, running just to name a few.

And lastly, I am going to focus on some skill development…running better, pistols, explosive fast twitch things like lateral jumps, and jump rope skills. I slight improvement in those things could yield huge benefits. And they won’t beat me up like trying to add weight to my back squat in 8 weeks!

The goal is twofold…have the best, cleanest movement patterns on the field and be happy!

And as always…full effort is full victory!

John Mariotti

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

www.crossfitodyssey.com

775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment