Saturday, December 11, 2021

Sunday Story…Full Steam Ahead


Damn the torpedoes! This is often the approach we take early in life. All in, no quarter, life lived with the throttle wide open is often our default position when we are young. And it works for the most part. We have the energy, the enthusiasm, and the physicality to make it work.


But it is also said that wisdom is having good judgment. And good judgment comes from bad decisions. Recently I qualified for the fittest experience competition in January. After the online qualifier I placed 5th which was good enough (barely) to get an invite to come to Austin. But as many of you have noticed by my gimpy walk over the last few months I am not 100%. Will I be 100% by the end of January? I suspect I will be but that’s not the issue. The issue is how well can I train between now and then? And the answer is not that well. When we combine that fact with the fact that the CrossFit open and the road to the 2022 games begins at the end of February the best decision may be to let the healing process take a little longer.


In the past I would have thrown caution to the wind and accepted the invite. Although it would be fun to go throw down in Austin, it wouldn’t be smart and it certainly wouldn’t move me toward my long term goals of extraordinary health and fitness.


What are your long term goals? Is what you are doing moving you toward those goals? Or are you sabotaging the long term goals in pursuit of short term satisfaction. Sometimes the best course of action is delayed gratification…the fruit is always sweeter when it is ripe.


John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412


No comments:

Post a Comment