Saturday, June 19, 2021

Sunday Story…Father’s Day


 My Father passed in 2014 just after my first CrossFit Games appearance. I like to think he watched at least some of it. I think of him often and fondly. The stories he told me, the lessons he left me with have stood me in good stead throughout my life.

 

He wasn’t perfect. Like all of us he had flaws and chinks in his armor but his heart was always in the right place and he set an example for all of his sons to follow. He showed up at practice and games and supported all of my endeavors.

 

He went to work and when he came home he went to work on the house, the garden, and the fields or played with his kids. He loved my mother and showed it every day. I hope I do those things as well as he did.

 

My father taught me many lessons.

Here are a few of them:

Treat everyone with respect and dignity. Every person is worthy until they prove otherwise.

Don’t judge people by characteristics they can’t control.

Hard work is its own reward.

You aren’t done until the job is finished.

If you agree to do something be the best at it you can be.

 

And to this day whenever I swim laps I can hear him yelling, “Pull, John Pull.”

Thanks, daddy, I’m still pulling.

 

John Mariotti

www.crossfitodyssey.com

www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

775-338-2412

 

No comments:

Post a Comment