Most of us identify ourselves in any number of ways. Maybe as a generation (x, y, boomer), maybe as an alum, maybe as a member of some organization but we will tend to gravitate towards some identification.
The problem is you are not that…you are not the car you
drive or the fact you graduated from someplace, or the church you go to. You
are not those things. Those things are choices we make, or tastes we may have. They
are changeable.
Your identity may encompass any number of things
currently. Those things will change and evolve over time. But the real
question is in the title today…WHO are you? Because you are not the car you
drive, the wine you drink, or the political party you belong to.
Are you a person of integrity (doing what you say you
are going to do when you say you are going to do it)? Are you a person who can
be relied upon? Are you kind? Do you look for the best in people first? Is your
glass half full?
I can be attacked, put down based on my membership in
some group but that isn’t a personal attack. I may take it personally but
really, it isn’t an attack on my person, on the WHO I am. It’s an attack on the
identity I am choosing to present. I am not my membership in a group.
In the words of that famous sailor…I yam what I yam.
John Mariotti
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:
Post a Comment