Is it Authentic? What makes it so? Why does it matter?
Is that little hole in the wall restaurant more authentic than the big national chain? Why? Does having an ethnic looking clientele make one place more authentic than another? What happens when I go to an Asian restaurant and all the cooks are Latino? Authentic or not?
I know people who think that an Italian restaurant that does not offer canoli it isn’t authentic. My mother learned to cook Italian at the apron strings of my Italian grandmothers and aunts. I still haven’t seen her make canoli. She does however make a mean biscotti! I have made canoli (it’s a serious pain in the butt!) but never biscotti so am I more authentic than my mother?
Authentic is an excuse you are using to justify your position. I only do this if it is authentic. I won’t go there…it isn’t authentic. Maybe authentic isn’t the right question.
Maybe a better question is…is it good? Or is it right? Or do I feel good about it? Authentic is what you make of it and what I consider authentic may not agree with your definition. But we should be able to agree on what is right and good.
Don’t be held hostage by the tyranny of authentic. Free yourself to enjoy the things you enjoy…authentic or not.
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Saturday, May 25, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment