Saturday, May 11, 2019

Sunday Story…Avoidance is not

The answer.

I am not great at everything. Actually, I am not great at a lot of things. You could even say I am great at very few things. My level of competence is what it is…until I decide to do something about it.

That is the question: What will I do about those places where I am not great? What will I do about the places where I don’t have the will, desire, or commitment to become great?

I suppose I could utilize the head in the sand ploy. You know the one…you ignore your incompetence. Do whatever it is poorly, hope no one notices, and pretend you didn’t do it so badly.

Or you could go head to head. Face your incompetence with zeal and enthusiasm. Talk about it. Look for resources that will increase your competence. Find someone or a band of someones who will support and challenge you to get better. Look for new and better ways to get where you want to be.

The first choice…avoidance…is never going to increase your competence. At least in the second, you are pretending to be more grown up.

Want competence? Face the facts, look for answers, do the work. Simple, not easy.

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment