Not all fit people are healthy. Not all healthy people are fit. It is a dichotomy of our modern lives.
It used to be that if you were healthy you would be relatively fit. You worked outside, carried, lifted, and engaged in physical activity. There wasn’t much choice. If you wanted to survive you had to be fit. On the flip side, if you weren’t fit you probably weren’t very healthy either…sickly, predisposed to ailments and generally in poor humor.
The goal is to find the perfect (for you) blend of those 2 things. What does healthy AND fit look like to you? 6-pack abs? Doable. Run a marathon? OK. Coach your kid’s soccer team? Done. Learning new skills or languages? Nice. Having fulfilling social interactions? Wonderful.
I define fitness in a broad, general and inclusive way…increased work capacity over broad time and modal domains. To put it more simply…the ability for my body to do what I want, when I want and however fast I want. This doesn’t mean I am unrealistic; I do have some limiting factors that are out of my control.
I define health in a similar way…health is the state of physical, mental and social well being. It is not just the absence of sickness or injury. I need to not just be healthy in my body but in my mind and in my relationships as well.
Now how are you going to get fit and healthy? That is the million dollar question, isn’t it? Maybe we can help…
John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412
Saturday, February 16, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment