Saturday, August 18, 2018

Sunday Story…Unmoored

So I have been cast off from my normal docking station. My schedule has followed an extremely disciplined and rigid daily form for the last several years.

On one hand, it is a pleasant change, like discovering a hidden restaurant in your neighborhood or a special little shop. On the other it is disconcerting and a bit frightening, like being plopped down in a vaguely familiar landscape but with no map or GPS to help orientate you. Where do you go, how do you find your way, and what do you do first and then second?

Lots of people have asked about my current schedule and when or if I will start training for the games again. Sadly, I won’t be training for the games in 2019. There are several reasons for this. Allow me to iterate some of them:

I’m injured. My rotator cuff is torn, my biceps tendon is ruptured and my knee doesn’t function properly. I need to get all of these things taken care of. Between the rehab and the downtime, there won’t be enough training time to be in the kind of shape needed to perform at the highest level.

I’m tired. I have spent the last 6 years or so in pursuit of the highest level of fitness. I started this journey (technically) way back in 2003 or 4 when I joined the Ultimate Black Belt Test. We were tasked to get in the best shape of our lives. That sent me on a quest to define and refine my fitness. The last 5 years have been the culmination of that journey. And now I am ready to dial it back and reflect on the trip.

I’ve got other stuff to do! Lately, I have been feeling the pull to expand myself…in writing, providing content, coaching and other things. It was too hard to do these other things and train 2-4 hours a day along with the requisite recovery and rejuvenation. Look for new and exciting things soon (besides hanging weight belts up!)

So I will be allowing my boat to drift a little and then start moving once I figure out what the 1st next thing is!

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
775-338-2412

No comments:

Post a Comment