Sunday, December 10, 2017

Sunday Story…Lazy is

Sunday Story…Lazy is

As lazy does. Most of the time we view lazy as work avoidance. I don’t want to dig that ditch, or clean the garage, or do the dishes, or fold the laundry so I find other things to do that I find more appealing, or, at least, less daunting.

But the facts in this modern life are simple: if I don’t want to do it, I can find or pay someone else to do it. And there is a pretty good chance they will do it better than I will anyway. This is especially true of tasks I detest. If I don’t like yard work, for a few bucks I can get a professional crew to do it and it will look way better than anything I would have ever done.

The kind of lazy that is more prevalent today avoids a different kind of labor. The kind of deep emotional work that requires real effort, mental, physical, emotional, psychic, and spiritual. The really hard work of digging in and seeing who you are…and who you are not.

This is the lazy that avoids thoughtful conversations. The lazy that refuses to introspect and uncover hidden feelings and dig around in the psyche. This is the lazy that avoids fear in the hope things change or it just goes away.

Let’s call it for what it is. Lazy. It’s okay in the short term but in the long term, it erodes at our self-worth. We know we aren’t doing the hard work and like the dishes in the sink, it keeps piling up until we do something. All too often though the something we do isn’t the hard work, it’s another strategy for not doing what we know we should be doing.

Don’t be lazy. Do the work.

John Mariotti
www.crossfitodyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment