Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sunday Story…Writing

Writers write. Runners run. Artists make art. If you want to be good at something you need to do that thing.

This Sunday Story thing has been a project since 2008. Every week (except the summer of 2013) I have posted a story. That calculates to something over 300 posts. You can find most of them here:
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Originally I had a goal of 1000 words for each post but a while ago someone told me the briefer was better. That I should see if I could say what I wanted to say in as few words as possible. So I cut the goal down to 500. And then I stopped worrying about it. If the message could be out in 100 words then so be it. I have never been able to do that…I guess I am just too verbose!

I also try to hit certain numbers on a reading scale. This scale tells me how easy what I have written is to read. So this one is 253 words and a 75.4 ease (Reader’s digest is 65! And larger is easier to read) score on a 5.3 grade level just in case you were wondering!

So:
Shorter…simpler…more direct and to the point…pithy and poignant, if you will.
Yet:
Inspiring, informative, entertaining, thought provoking, humorous, and transformative.

I get a fair amount of feedback and always welcome more.

Thanks for reading, thanks for being out there for me.

A writer, writing.

Namaste

John Mariotti
www.crossfit-odyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Follow me on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment