Sunday, December 14, 2014

Sunday Story…Work it

You’ve got goals…lose 10 pounds, drop 5 inches from your middle, improve your back squat by 10 percent, start a new business, or write the great American novel. You’ve made them S.M.A.R.T…specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. You are ready to go to work. This is your year; you are going to crush all of your goals this time. But…how?

You need some help, a program, a coach. You need a road map. You need to find people who have done something similar to what you want to do and then follow them. And finally you need to pull on your big boy pants and go to work.

I know how smart you are. I know you know all this stuff about what you want to do. I know you are different and you are a special situation. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard something like one of the following:
“I know what I need to do. If I do __________, ____________, and ________ I will ___________ (fill in goal here).”
“That doesn’t work for me because my _________ is different.”
“I’ve tried ___________ before and it didn’t work.”
Yet here is an expert who has taken many an expedition down the same river you want to travel. But you are going to do it your way because you know better. The question is this…How has that worked in the past? You have been saying that nonsense for a long time. Here’s an idea…give all that up, put yourself in the hands of an expert, do exactly what they tell you to do, when and how they tell you to do it. No more…that doesn’t work for me (because you are special); no more…I know what I am doing (because I read up on it on the internet); no more…I tried it that way and it didn’t work (because you really didn’t).

Take the program and do it exactly. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work and you are exactly where you are now (which is where you are going to be anyway if history has any bearing). You can always try it a different way after giving the program a legitimate attempt. And by legitimate I mean a 100 percent all in, no questioning, just do it attempt.
You have goals. You have a road map. You have a friendly native guide. Now you need to trust your guide and put in the work. Get up in the morning knowing exactly what you are going to do that day to move yourself forward. Tomorrow do the same thing. Repeat until the goals are reached or it is obvious the program is the wrong one for you and your purpose.

You have to do the work, the hard work, after you have set goals. You must get up in the morning and approach your goals like you a professional would…in other words you do it with 100 percent focus and energy even on the days you don’t want to.

Plan your work, work your plan.

Namaste

John Mariotti
www.crossfit-odyssey.com
www.sunday-stories.blogspot.com
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment