Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Story…No More Resolutions

Every year about this time the media is filled with talk about New Year’s Resolutions. Every year about now many of us start talking about how we are going “lose weight” or “get in shape”, or “eat better”, or “go to the gym”, or, or. STOP doing this now. Resolutions are weak. Most of us never get close to completing our resolutions. We might get a few weeks or even a month or two but we rarely complete those resolutions. Then about this time of year we look back and realize all those things we wanted to accomplish but never did. And we start the cycle all over again.

Stop making resolutions and start setting goals. A resolution is a vague conceptual idea of something you want to have happen (if it isn’t too hard or it doesn’t take too long). A goal is S.M.A.R.T….Specific, Motivational, Accountable, Realistic and responsible, Timely.

Last year I decided it was finally time for me to get fluent in Spanish. I have taken first year Spanish about 6 times and still can barely hold a rudimentary conversation. 2012 was going to be my year to finally get real with Spanish. I got my hands on the Pimsleur course and got through about 18 ½ hour lessons. This is not even the whole 1st lesson set. The 3rd and 4th boxes have never been opened. What happened? It was a resolution, not a goal. Although it was specific---become fluent in Spanish, it did not have a time limit, it did not have the motivation---the why of doing it, it was realistic and responsible.

So here is the S.M.A.R.T. goal: On or before September 1st 2013 I am fluent in Spanish (notice the goal is stated in present tense like it has already happened)…I will finish unit 1 by February 28th, unit 2 by April 30th, unit 3 by June 30th and Unit 4 by August 30th. I will do this by doing one lesson (or more) every other day. During this process I will start a conversation with a Spanish speaking person once in January, twice in Feb. and increase by one every month until September when I have at least 9 conversations during the month with different people. Obviously by announcing this in this forum I am accountable to each of you as well. I will also place this goal on my project board in my office so I can see it every day and be reminded of the goal. This is a doable goal; it doesn’t over reach my time restrictions or ability. It has a set time for beginning and ending.

I have talked with many of you about doing the “dare” or the “double dog dare” starting on January 2nd. That goal might look or sound like this: On January 30th I completed a 30 day course of eating no grain, no dairy, no sugar, and no legumes. I did this by eliminating all banned food from my pantry and refrigerator by Jan. 2. I will prepare my food on the weekend for the coming week and I will avoid temptation by not eating out or allowing myself to be caught without healthy food choices nearby (this is the specific and small breakdown of the goal). At the end of the 30 days I will feel healthier, my clothes will fit better, my immune system and my digestive system will work better, my skin will be clearer, and my sleep will be more restful (this is the motivation part!) I will let my friends and family know about this shift I am doing in my eating lifestyle. I will ask for their help and understanding in my journey. I will post my new eating lifestyle on my refrigerator so I can see it every day (this is the accountability part). I will read the books and the articles about eating this way so I can be properly informed. I will follow the recipes and the menus. I will be responsible and ask for support from my fellow challenge participants (responsible and realistic). I will do this for 30 days (the month of January and at the end I will be happier and healthier and I will meet all the challenge participants for a potluck meal on Saturday Feb. 2nd.

Make all your goals SMART and see your results skyrocket. Specific, measurable, motivating, attainable, accountable, responsible, realistic, timely and touchable goals are goals you will achieve.

I hope to see all of you on Tuesday for the kick off of the Food and Fitness Challenge at either noon or 6PM. If you can’t make those times, let me know I will make sure you get a packet of all the information.

Oh and Happy New Year…I hope 2013 will be your best year ever!

Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com

Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment