Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Story...10 Great Excuses to Eat Bad Food (part 2)

Food plays a central part in everyone’s life. Although we don’t have to forage and hunt for our daily meal we do have very tough choices and a huge amount of conflicting information about what we should and shouldn’t eat. Here are some of my favorite excuses for poor (processed, sugary, bad fat) food choices. With a slightly incredulous tone of course!

I can’t eat (fill in the blank ---vegetables, broccoli, fish), I don’t like the way it tastes
Two choices…1. You are a grown up, get over it. 2. You are a grown up, figure out a way to get the same thing without opening a box or a can of crap. I do not like split pea soup, never have. Won’t cook it for myself but if I go to your house I will eat it without a word (but I will decline a second bowl, thank you!)

Diets never work for me and I have tried them all
I agree with this one. Stop dieting. Stop counting calories, measuring portions, drinking a shake in the morning and one at night, buying pre-packaged diet food designed to separate more of your money from your wallet than fat from your body. Don’t diet…EAT REAL FOOD. Food that came out of the ground somehow. Food that did not come from a box or a can or a vacuum packed envelope.

That’s the way my parents ate and look at them!
The food your parents ate and the food you are eating are not the same and it is even more obvious when we look at our grandparents. The current generation of children (the ones born after the year 2000) are projected to be the first generation that does not outlive their parents. 16% of children today are already obese and 35% of adults…that is obese, not just overweight. And it is getting worse. By the year 2030 it is predicted that, at the current rate of increase, 42% of adults will be obese and in some states it will be 60%. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/health-obesity-us-idUSL1E8KHGGJ20120918 ) Maybe eating at Mom’s isn’t such a great idea (not my Mom’s of course!)

Michael Phelps eats a ton of fast food and he is an Olympic champion
And the last time you swam 20,000 yards was when? I mean do you really want to compare yourself to an 18 year old multiple Olympic Gold medal winner? The question is this…how good could he have been if his training table was filled with nutritious healthy food? You and I do not need to eat 12,000 calories a day to maintain our training regimen. We need to eat food designed to promote health and fitness.

I don’t like boring food

Here are the 5 recent recipes on www.thefoodee.com:
Bacon butternut squash soup
Bacon-chanterelle Lamb Roast
Roast Beef with mushroom-brandy sauce
Grilled chicken with Greek sweet potatoes
Paleo Cranberry sauce
Boring? I think not. The soup takes 15 min to prepare and an hour to cook. Anyone could do it. But then you would have to start tasting what real food taste like again.

The Bottom Line
It doesn’t have to be expensive (stop replacing cheap crap food with expensive crap food…just because it says gluten free or lactose free doesn’t mean it is any better for you). It doesn’t have to be time consuming or hard unless you want to make that way. It won’t be boring if you open your mind to something besides boiled chicken and steamed broccoli. “They” make more money form you being sick and tired than “They” will ever make from you being fit and healthy. Don’t diet, eat real food prepared in a real kitchen by a real person (Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are long gone and beside they never really put that crap in the box anyway) with real care and love. You will eat less, you will feel better, you will perform better, and you will be healthier.

Call me…I can help.

Namaste
John
“Teaching Focus, Inspiring Transformation”
www.martialartsnevada.com

Follow me at:
Twitter --- http://m.twitter.com/jmariotti
FaceBook --- John Mariotti
Blog Spots…John Mariotti
http://sunday-stories.blogspot.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment